The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and
reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of
livestock. ILRI seeks to recruit a Research Officer to support the livestock breeds and genetics
components, whereby interacting closely with Livestock Genetics program and the One-CGIAR initiative
Sustainable Animal Productivity for Livelihoods, Nutrition and Gender (SAPLING).
The position will take the lead in planning, co-ordination and implementation of research activities aimed at increasing livestock productivity within low- and middle-income countries. Specific initial projects include on-station trials of dairy cattle performance in Kenya; on-farm participatory research relating to breed improvement and artificial insemination of pigs and beef-cattle in East Africa and Vietnam.
The following responsibilities would be designated and expected to be carried out competently by the
successful applicant (Research Officer):
- Leading survey implementation or data collection.
- Defining research questions and approaches.
- Lead development of capacity building material suitable for different audiences and
- Supervision of field staff, students, and consultants.
- Leading the development of participatory research (survey) tools that are quantitative, and
input into those that are qualitative.
- Development of new ideas, methodological approaches, tools, and many more for use within
- Capacity development of internal and external stakeholders, etc.
Applicants would be assessed against the following eligibility criteria or requirements:
- A Masters degree (MSc) in a topic related to livestock production, animal breeding, agricultural
and or rural development, agricultural development economics, agricultural value chains, etc.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience resulting in demonstration of skills such as a
good general knowledge of livestock production systems, knowledge related to breeding and
artificial insemination and knowledge of pig and beef cattle production systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Excellent communication skills and Strong problem-solving ability.
Application deadline is June 24, 2022.