One Health and Development Initiative (OHDI) is a Nigeria-based non-profit organization that works to address interrelated issues of human, animal, environmental and ecosystem health through an integrated One Health approach. Animal Welfare, a core contributor to One Health, is one of our program areas where we seek to promote education, research, build capacity and support for relevant policy and implementation for improved animal welfare practices and standards.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced CONSULTANT to work on a cage-free poultry farming and advocacy project in Nigeria. The consultant, who MUST be resident in Nigeria, will work closely with our team to develop and implement strategies to promote the adoption of cage-free poultry farming practices and advocate for improved animal welfare in the poultry industry.
The Project consultant will provide core technical support on the implementation of our Hen Welfare/Cage-free Project. Specific responsibilities include:
- Providing strategic guidance, technical expertise, and practical solutions to enhance hen welfare and cage-free production systems in the Nigerian poultry context
- Supporting the project team in training poultry producers in cage-free transition, including providing guidance on facility design, management protocols, and best practices to ensure and improve poultry health, productivity, well-being and innate behavioural exhibition
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for promoting the adoption of cage-free farming practices, including outreach to farmers, training programs, and advocacy efforts
- Facilitating networks and collaborations with industry stakeholders, governmental bodies, and non-governmental organizations to advocate for policy changes and regulatory frameworks that support cage-free practices and improved hen welfare
- Supporting the project team in conducting workshops, training sessions, and educational programs to empower poultry farmers, staff, management, and other relevant personnel with the knowledge and skills needed to implement cage-free systems effectively
- Guiding the project team in conducting market research and analysis to identify trends, consumer preferences, and market opportunities related to cage-free and welfare-enhancing poultry products and assisting poultry farmers, producers and buyers in aligning their products with welfare-guided market demands
- Chart a sellable business model/case on the gains of cage-free housing system over battery cage system
- Produce high-quality reports and other project deliverables as relevant
An Ideal candidate will possess
- An advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in Veterinary Medicine, Biological or Agricultural Sciences. A DVM with considerable experience in the poultry industry would also suffice.
- Extended experience (at least 7 years) in poultry health and farm management related jobs
- Knowledge and application of animal welfare principles – and a strong understanding of welfare needs of poultry (and hens) would be a great advantage
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful advocacy campaigns or behavior change interventions
- Proven network and engagements with industry players and policymakers (Government officials) in the poultry sector
- Expertise in writing and contribution to technical reports. Experiences in writing (and publication) of evaluation studies, scientific papers and relevant technical reports would be an advantage.
A competitive consultancy remuneration package will be provided for the selected Consultant.
To apply, complete this online form by 18 August, 2023. Applications will be received on a rolling basis, therefore you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.