The Sustainability, Environmental Achievement & Leadership (SEAL) Awards launched in 2017 and is an awards-driven environmental advocacy organization. SEAL’s funding of research complements its environmental awards programs which are Business Sustainability Awards and Environmental Journalism Awards.
SEAL Environmental Research Grants are made to graduate students (master’s and PhD students) and postdocs working on advancing environmental policy or the public’s understanding of an environmental issue. To date, the SEAL organization has provided funding to 17 environmental researchers at institutions such as Duke, Harvard, MIT, and UCLA.
The funding use includes the following: Education or Outreach, Research, Applied Project or Program. The particular areas of interest for this grant could include, but are not limited to: Environmental economics, Environmental sustainability, Natural resources, Carbon and other industrial pollution mitigation, etc.
Applicants should consider the following conditions when applying for SEAL grant:
- By accepting a SEAL Grant you agree to be cited in SEAL press releases and social media announcements.
- Recipients of a grant are encouraged to submit an annual report within one year of receipt of funds to the SEAL Awards Founder outlining impact and use of funds.
- Notification of the award is currently targeted for January 2023.
- Any air travel in the course of the project is required to include payment of carbon offset (e.g. CarbonFund.org).
- There is no restriction on timing surrounding when funds must be spent.
- Projects must be able to quantify impacts (i.e. cost and benefits).
- Projects must have a strong clarity of purpose. For example, the merits of the research project can be convincingly summarized in 5 or fewer bullet point sentences.
- Projects must have a reasonable chance of producing results that can influence either environmental policy and/or the public’s understanding of an environmental issue.
NOTE: This award does not allow for overhead to be taken so 100% of funds will be available to the grantee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 1, 2022