KTN is pleased to announce a further call for GCRF AgriFood Africa Innovation Awards as a means to encourage UK research partners, including Universities and Research Technology Organisations (RTOs), to address AgriFood challenges in Africa in 2020. This call will provide funds to a UK research partner for a collaborative project to address the AgriFood challenges of an African partner. These Awards are intended to help resource small confidence-building measures, employing research and innovation. Projects must be between an African partner and a UK research partner that is likely to lead to a longer-term relationship and follow-on projects. Highly innovative applications from partners who have not worked before are especially welcome as are projects that promote diversity and inclusion. They are looking to support a portfolio of projects that address a variety of AgriFood and nutrition challenges relevant to Africa, across a range of technology areas, market sectors, and territories.
The Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) is a £1.5billion fund to support cutting-edge research which addresses the problems faced by developing countries. GCRF forms part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment and will be awarded in a manner that fits with ODA guidelines. Grants which are up to £40,000 (including any applicable VAT), are awarded to the UK research partner to tackle a problem relevant to the African partner(s)
- Individuals and organizations normally eligible to apply to the UK research councils for research grants
- Projects must be between an African partner and a UK research partner; a defined piece of research and Innovation work by the UK and African partner or partners
- Project’s innovations must be sustainable in the context of environmental challenges such as climate change and resource scarcity
- Applications must be led by an eligible Principal Investigator in the UK
- UK academic applicants are welcome to include relevant UK industry partner in addition to African partner(s)
The application deadline is on November 10, 2020