The West African Institute of Public Health (WAIPH) is the largest regional public health organization in the African region with a global community of over 6000 members. The flagship semi-autonomous department of the Institute known as the West African Academy of Public Health (WAAPH) or the Academy of Public Health (APH) is focused on certifications and growing professional members’ skills and competence. Its bouquet of offerings includes an internship suite called the virtual internship programme (VIP). The VIP is a work experience programme where the intern gains experience while working as part of a cohort and teams remotely to garner some key professional skills. The VIP is an award–winning programme which has enabled many former participants to get their footing after graduation and find employment opportunities with solid grip in public health–related domains.
- Interns will have an edge in their career aspirations since they are recent graduates and entry level staff gearing to gain an edge in the industry.
- Increased knowledge and expertise about requisite hands-on skills.
- Depending on performance, past interns may be recruited as assistants or full-time staff on future projects.
- Improved communication, broadened access to public health information and enhanced health literacy.
- Health advocacy skill set is developed.
- Team work and Networking: This will give interns the opportunity to form good rapport among themselves and with their mentors.
- Institutional Reference Letter (IRL) for jobs from the Academy and Mentor, VIP Certificate of Participation (CoP) and Certified Graduate Membership of the Academy would be issued. (The latter would be based on performance and at the discretion of the Executive Director of the Academy of the West African Institute of Public Health)
- Applicants must be a recent graduate between the ages of 20-30 years (within 2-years post-graduation window) and must have the passion to make a difference in the lives of people with a good grasp of English language and Information Technology
The application deadline is on 8th February 2021