One Health and Development Initiative (OHDI) is a nonprofit organization that works to address correlated issues of human, animal, and environmental health using the integrated “One Health” approach. Our mission is rooted in the belief that public health issues are intertwined across the human, animal, and environmental ecosystems thereby requiring a holistic approach to effective and sustainable solutions.
Animal Welfare is one of our core areas of work which we recognize as an important contributor to One Health. In this program unit, we are promoting knowledge and building the capacity of target stakeholders on good animal welfare practices while improving their access to quality animal health services.
We are seeking a qualified veterinarian for the position of Program Officer in the Animal Welfare Unit. The Program Officer will provide technical support in the advancement, management, and implementation of animal welfare projects, research, community engagement activities, and provision of animal health services.
- Provide key technical support to the implementation of OHDI’s Animal Welfare projects.
- Contribute to the development of technical and scientific research reports, manuals, and other important documentation on animal welfare in the organization.
- Provide an excellent representation of OHDI at relevant animal welfare programs and stakeholder meetings, events, conferences, media appearances, and other engagements.
- Provide animal health/veterinary services, where necessary.
- Contribute to and support resource mobilization.
- Carry out other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Experience, and Competencies:
- A veterinarian with a valid DVM degree and license to practice in Nigeria
- Must reside in Nigeria. High priority will be given to candidates who reside in Abuja or are willing to relocate to Abuja.
- Must have knowledge of and align fully with core animal welfare principles – especially the 5 Freedoms of Animal Welfare as established by the World Organization for Animal Health (WOAH).
- At least 2 years of productive working experience in animal health and welfare practices, particularly for farm animals
- Great conceptual, analytical, and innovative problem-solving ability
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Report writing ability will be considered a strong added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with team members, stakeholders, external collaborators, and people in a multicultural, multi-interest, multi-ethnic environment
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to multitask
- Must be proficient in a hybrid work mode
Expected annual remuneration will be between a range of N1,800,000 and N2,400,000 depending on demonstrated experience, proven ability, and knowledge of job functions.
Interested veterinarians should apply by completing the short form in this link.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis till February 28, 2023, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for subsequent online tests and interviews.