The Joke Waller-Hunter (JWH) Initiative creates opportunities for young people in the environmental sector in developing countries to unfold their full potential. By giving small grants to individuals to expand their knowledge, experience and training, the Initiative aims to strengthen environmental Civil Society Organisations capacity and efficiency. The mission of the JWH Initiative is thus to provide an accessible and tailored small grant for education and training of individuals who are nominated by their organisation as potential future leaders.
Young people who work or are affiliated with environmental CSO’s in developing countries and emerging economies who have shown potential for and interest in further developing their leadership. Candidates can come from anywhere except from ‘advanced economies’ (see below for list based on the IMF classification). The definition of ‘young’ is not linked to a concrete age limit. However, preference will be given to young women and men under 35 of age. We would like to especially encourage the nomination of young women and local community leaders.
The candidates should have proof of an excellent track record in:
- fully embracing the idea of sustainable development;
- a strong background in working on environmental and sustainable development issues;
- showing potential and ambition towards becoming a leader in her/his field of work, such as being inspirational and a support to others, working with communities, being innovative and creative;
- committed to work on environmental and sustainable development issues in their country/region
- The candidate should be willing and have the potential to report on the development of their leadership capacities.
We work with a nomination process which means the participants cannot apply themselves. Environmental Civil Society Organisations and nominators working in these organisations identify suitable candidates within their organisations or networks and either themselves, and/or in collaboration with the candidate, fill in the nominating form.
The application deadline is August 31, 2021