The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. We thank you for your interest in IITA and invite you to explore many exciting and diverse career opportunities in a work environment that enables you to be the best you can, advancing your professional and personal growth in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
Position: Research Associate
Contract: 1-year renewable contract
The successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Develop protocols and standard operating procedures for sample collection and field survey to be conducted by the Soils4Africa project across the continent;
- Assist in the development of (electronic) tools for the recording of the field observations and registration of soil samples with the available tool kits;
- Assist WP leader in coordinating field campaign to be organized in the five (5) subregional hubs of the project in Africa;
- Conduct training on the use of the protocols, implementation of the standard operating procedures, and use of tools for field survey in the sub-regional hubs and field teams if and when required;
- Assist in the acquisition of consultancy assignments and projects with reference to soil inventory, suitability assessment, and management recommendations;
- Execute the fieldwork for soil inventory and mapping associated with the abovementioned consultancy assignments and projects (organize, coordinate and oversee);
- Prepare reports on all activities conducted and assist in reporting to project donors and clients;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Masters in Soil Science or related fields with a minimum of five (5) years experience in sampling designs, soil formation and genesis, soil analysis, and soil management in a well-structured organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be digitally competent (use of computers and standard applications like word processors, spreadsheets, etc.), and competency in data management, statistical analysis, and writing scripts or code for applications like ODK.
- Have good communication and interpersonal relations skills.
IITA offers a highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching a detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to the IITA website.
The application deadline is 27th April 2021.