TERMS OF REFERENCE
One Health and Development Initiative (OHDI) is a non-profit organization that works to address
correlated issues of human, animal, and environmental health using the integrated “One Health”
approach. Animal Welfare is one of our core areas of work, which we recognize as an important
contributor to One Health. In this program unit, we are promoting knowledge and building the
capacity of target stakeholders on good animal welfare practices while improving their access to
quality animal health services.
Our organization is embarking on a project to train stakeholders in the Pig Farming industry on global
best practices and standards of welfare practices and aligning these with existing pig farming and
production systems in Nigeria. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Project Consultant
who will be responsible for developing high quality, evidence-based educational materials and
training guides that are globally relevant, yet locally adaptable to Nigerian and African settings. The
consultant will work closely with the project team and OHDI management to ensure that the materials
are aligned with the project’s goals and objectives.
- Conduct a thorough needs assessment and literature review to identify the specific educational and training needs of the target audience on pig welfare best practices and industry standards.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive project plan, in alignment with the project objectives and goals.
- Develop and validate a training guide for on-site and online training platforms and support the development and deployment of the educational and multi-media elements (videos, quizzes) for the online training platform.
- Provide expertise and guidance to the OHDI project team on researching, documenting, and educating the target audience on pig welfare best practices.
- Support the OHDI team in designing strategies to promote the online course platform to improve enrollment and participation in training programs, promote ownership and uptake of the course among the target stakeholders.
- Prepare reports on the project’s progress, achievements, and lessons learned.
Key Project Deliverables:
The project consultant will be expected to deliver the following:
- A well-detailed work plan and timeline aligned with the project’s goals and objectives.
- Comprehensive educational materials and training guides on pig welfare
- Validated training guide and materials by local and global experts in the field
- Evidence-based, interactive, and engaging content for the online training platform
- Weekly Progress reports and updates to the project team
The project is expected to be completed within 6 weeks. The consultant will be required to reflect
this timeline in the workplan, adhere to the agreed-upon timeline, and provide weekly updates on
- A first degree, preferably DVM with considerable extensive knowledge and experience in animal welfare best practices and an advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in Veterinary Medicine, Biological or Agricultural Sciences.
- At least 8 years of experience in animal welfare, animal management and/or provision of animal health services.
- Experience in developing and implementing training programs and modules in both formal and informal settings will be considered an advantage.
- Expertise in writing and contribution to technical reports.
- Proven network and engagements with industry players and policymakers (Government officials) on animal welfare.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Expected consultancy remuneration for this project is in the range of N400,000 and N600,000,
depending on experience, qualifications, and expertise of the selected candidate. This will be
disbursed in 2 installments upon receipts of the project workplan/timeline and agreed key project
deliverables, respectively. If qualified and interested, please fill this online form to make an
application. Applications will be received on a rolling basis until November 19, 2023, and only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted for subsequent interviews.