Ocean Changemakers Challenge is a competition showcasing leading changemakers working to develop business solutions to ocean-related sustainability challenges. It is aimed at early-career researchers or professionals.
We need innovative, passionate leaders to foster a sustainable blue economy and ensure a healthy future for our seas. Economist Impact’s World Ocean Initiative, with support from Destination Canada is therefore excited to host the third annual challenge. The challenge is being run and administered by Economist Impact, and the challenge is open to students and professionals who meet all of the provided criteria.
- Individuals who have been recognised by local communities but not yet by the international ocean community.
- Researchers, early-career professionals, entrepreneurs and innovators with solutions to tackle some of the ocean’s greatest challenges, including for example Marine pollution, Overfishing and overexploitation of marine resources, Unsustainable Aquaculture, Destruction of ocean habitats, etc
- Individuals who are driving change locally and have innovative solutions we could learn from to scale ocean solutions rapidly.
A panel of judges from both the World Ocean Initiative and the wider ocean community will review the videos and select a shortlist of 12 entrants. Applicants will thereby be judged according to how well their ideas meet the following criteria:
- Impact on the blue economy, showing a clear link with sustainable development of the ocean.
- Innovative, showing original ideas or clear improvement on existing ideas focused on progress.
- Viable, they should be feasible in the medium to long-term.
- Scalable i.e. they can be scaled up and applied in different contexts.
- Investable, such that it offers opportunities for growth.
Application deadline is August 19, 2022.
Click here for more information and application.