The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Manager to provide program management support to the Animal and Human Health (AHH) program and ensure that the goals and objectives of the program are met through the deployment of the Program Management Framework.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
- Work with the Co- Program Leaders to develop and implement the program level strategy and continually review as required.
- Support development of a multi-year operational plan and monitor its implementation
- Monitor and collate program outputs and outcomes
- Develop multi-year program budgets, including ensuring consistency across the program
- Effectively manage the program budget, ensuring proper allocation of expenditure, monitoring expenditures and highlighting any variances, and providing suggestions for corrective action to Project Leaders and Project Managers, including working with Finance for resolution.
- Lead the program management and administrative team (which includes Project Managers, Assistant Program Manager, Assistant Project Managers, Program Accountants, Communications Staff, Administrative Assistants, Office Assistants and build their capacity on ILRI Program Management Framework to enhance their performance.
- Assess and plan future procurement needs and work with Supply Chain to create a detailed procurement plan
- Liaise with the legal unit to draft partner and donor agreements and incorporate the necessary changes
- Work with the project leader/project manager in the development of an exit strategy/sustainability plan for all projects
- Work closely with the project leaders/project managers to define research compliance requirements, undertake risk assessment and contribute to the development of mitigation strategies
- Maintain effective working relationships with partners, beneficiaries, and stakeholders and facilitate effective flow of information between all partners, team members and relevant stakeholders in program activities
- Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialists to ensure program level monitoring, data analysis and reporting to support effective program management
- Oversee Program reporting, identify any concern areas and recommend solutions
- Ensure that CGIAR and ILRI policies relating to IP, Open Access, P&OD and others are being followed at the Program level
- Oversee the closure activities for the projects which includes the disposal of physical assets, research materials and staff separation/ reassignment, archiving of documentation, impact assessment in line with the PMF process
- Work with the Project Leader and Communications Staff to ensure knowledge dissemination and capacity development to all relevant stakeholders by mobilizing participation from as many project stakeholders as possible, including project team members, partners, donors, and other key stakeholders
- The Program manager will be expected to act as the Project Manager (as need arises) for a number of projects, depending on the size and complexity of the program
- Perform any other related duties as may be required
- Masters/ Advanced Degree in Business Management, Business Administration or related field
- A formal certification in Programme Management
- At least 7 years’ program management experience with 3 years at managerial level
- Excellent managerial and multitasking skills
- The ability to plan effectively and manage risks
- Stakeholder engagement skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Problem solving skills
Application deadline is August 16, 2022.